National Weather Service Forecast Discussion |
Thornton Weather Forecast Today's Forecast Story |
171 FXUS65 KBOU 260523 AFDBOU Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Denver/Boulder CO 1123 PM MDT Fri Sep 25 2026 .KEY MESSAGES... - Drier and warmer this weekend, with highs reaching into the 80s across the plains. - Decreasing chances (now 10%-40%) for mountain snow above 11,000ft late Monday into Tuesday. - Potential for heavy rain Tuesday into Thursday, but confidence in amounts and locations remains low. && .DISCUSSION /Through Friday/... Issued at 1110 PM MDT Fri Sep 25 2026 While most of today`s activity has died down, we still have a few showers making their way across the eastern plains, and we expect them to continue weakening as they move east. As skies clear up and winds become light behind these showers, we could see some patchy fog develop in the northeastern counties for a few hours tonight. Tomorrow and Sunday should both be much quieter weather days, thanks to subsidence from an upper-level ridge building over the area tonight into tomorrow. Zonal flow aloft from the ridge with some downsloping will bring some breezier conditions to the mountains and foothills in the early morning, with wind gusts of about 20-30 kts across the area and gusts up to 40 kts possible for the higher elevations. Dewpoints should drop into the 20s and 30s as the ridge moves into our CWA, and our high temperatures are expected to be in the mid 60s-70s for the mountains and low- to mid-80s for the plains. With both subsidence from the ridge and drier conditions at the surface, this weekend should stay dry and mostly sunny, though Sunday afternoon and evening could see a few showers over the mountains. Models are trending slightly slower with the upper level trough/low next week. This has a few impacts on our potential weather for the Monday through Thursday time period: One, the slower trough will push our better rain chances to later in the week, lowering our precip chances (and therefore snow chances) for the Monday and Tuesday time frame. Two, the slower track could allow for the remnants of Hurricane Polo to merge with the trough prior to it moving towards our area, which would give us better moisture and rain chances for late Tuesday through Wednesday. However, models are also trending a bit further south with the low, which will keep the best rain chances to the south/southeast of our forecast area. It also looks like the change in the positioning/timing of the upper low has impacted the strength of the cold front late Monday into Tuesday. The surface troughing and front are much weaker in the recent runs compared to those over the past few days. The weaker front and warmer temperatures will impact our snow chances Monday night/Tuesday morning in the higher terrain. Snow chances and amounts for this time period continue to decrease, with chances for at least a dusting of snow lowering into the 10% to 40% range for our higher mountain elevations (generally above 12,000ft now). For late Tuesday through Thursday, models have been pretty consistent with a swath of heavy rain developing, as moisture streams into the area and the upper low progresses from the SW U.S. into the central/south central U.S. However, the placement of this swath varies from run to run. Similar to everything else, it will depend on the evolution of the upper level system and surface low. Unfortunately for us, we look to be on the northern periphery of the higher rain totals, which means that there could be a pretty tight rainfall gradient somewhere over our forecast area (or potentially even just to the south of our area, missing us), where some people see multiple inches and others just a bit further north see tenths at most. The placement of this strong gradient will likely be the most difficult thing for us forecast, and one of the most impactful parts of the forecast. The speed of the upper level low will determine when the rain chances end for us, with some members holding onto to rain chances through early Friday, while others have us drying out Thursday. && .AVIATION /06Z TAFS through 06Z Sunday/... Issued at 1121 PM MDT Fri Sep 25 2026 VFR conditions expected through the TAF period. Slightly elevated drainage winds are in place and will last through the night at KDEN and KAPA. KBJC will likely see more of a downslope wind (W to NW) for much of the overnight. There is a low chance (~15%) that KBJC gusts to about 15-20 kts overnight if these stronger winds can make it off the higher terrain. Winds eventually turn to east/southeast by the afternoon and then remain rather light at all three sites. Drainage should settle in once again on Saturday night. Only a few to sct mid- and high- level clouds are expected through the period. && .BOU WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES... None. && $$ DISCUSSION...AP/AGS AVIATION...MV